Monday, February 27, 2017

Review: Queens of Geek

Title: Queens of Geek
Author: Jen Wilde
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Release Date: March 14, 2017

When BFFs Charlie, Taylor and Jamie go to SupaCon, they know it’s going to be a blast. What they don’t expect is for it to change their lives forever.

Charlie likes to stand out. SupaCon is her chance to show fans she’s over her public breakup with co-star, Reese Ryan. When Alyssa Huntington arrives as a surprise guest, it seems Charlie’s long-time crush on her isn’t as one-sided as she thought.

While Charlie dodges questions about her personal life, Taylor starts asking questions about her own.

Taylor likes to blend in. Her brain is wired differently, making her fear change. And there’s one thing in her life she knows will never change: her friendship with Jamie—no matter how much she may secretly want it to. But when she hears about the Queen Firestone SupaFan Contest, she starts to rethink her rules on playing it safe.


Hmmm... I always have a lot of trouble talking about contemporaries. 

I guess I'll start with the plot. It was cute if not predictable. You can tell from the very beginning how this book is going to end, but it was still fun getting there. Hey, it's a cute love story! Of course you know what's going to happen.

So the characters? I had a lot of trouble with them at first. Early on, Taylor's tumblr posts felt like big info dumps, but they eventually got better. I was annoyed with Taylor at first, but she grew on me. I ended up seeing myself a lot in her, so I was glad to see someone with heavy anxiety in a YA book. 

Though my favorite character was Jamie. He was super sweet, and you could tell from the very beginning how he felt. 

I loved the setting of being at a big convention. I've never had the chance to go to one of these, but I've wanted to for years. So it was a great way to kind of experience the con without actually going. My one real issue was the name Queen Firestone. I couldn't help but think of Firestone tires every single time I read it. Maybe that's an American thing, but I couldn't help it.

Overall
It was cute. I wasn't in love, but it was a quick and cute love story.

Characters: 3 stars
Plot: 3 stars
Writing: 4 stars
World: 4 stars
Feels: 2 stars


3 stars

Note: I received a galley of this book at ALA, and that in no way sways my opinion of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment