Monday, February 26, 2018

Review: Immortal Reign


Title: Immortal Reign
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: February 6, 2018

As two lethal elemental gods set out to destroy Mytica, sworn enemies must become allies in the final fight to save the kingdoms.

Jonas continues to willfully defy his destiny, but the consequences of plotting his own course are drastic. As the fight for Mytica rages on, he must decide just how much more he's willing to sacrifice.

Lucia knows there's something special about her daughter and she'll do anything to protect her, even if that means facing Kyan alone.

Amara is called back home to Kraeshia. Grandma Cortas has her own plans for Mytica's future. She promises Amara power, revenge, and dominance if she agrees to be part of her scheme.

Magnus and Cleo's love will be put to the ultimate test. Dark magic is causing widespread destruction throughout the kingdom. Enemies across the sea are advancing. And unrest is stirring throughout the land. Is their love strong enough to withstand the outside forces tearing them apart?



I'm honestly not even sure where to begin with this review. Because the end of Crystal Storm gutted me so badly, I just could not wait to get my hands on Immortal Reign.

There is so much I don't even know what to say. This book was so good. For me, the pacing was just right. I was on the edge of my seat (or the page haha) from the very beginning. I didn't know how I would feel about this book going in, since it's the last book of the series -cries-. But It was absolutely amazing.


Lucia is still learning how to trust people again, and she's learning how to be nice again. Not that she's weak or overly friendly. But she doesn't go around attacking people just because. Improvement, right?

My poor Magnus from the very start. I say nothing on this. But Morgan Rhodes handles this conundrum she put him in very well.

And then we have Nic and Ashur. I love them so much. Oh gosh, from the very start I was so worried about Nic. But even with Kyan taken over his body, we see some interesting Nic and Ashur moments. I'm hoping for a spin-off series (or at least give me one book!).

Okay. So some characters get a kind of redemption. But can I just say that I hate Amara? And her evil grandmother is literally the worst of the worst. Just my opinion, but you know. Just sayin'.

I have one gripe about Immortal Reign, and it's similar to one of the many problems I had with ACOWAR. In the end, things just seemed so easy. I expected a little more carnage overall than what we ended up getting. I mean, we were facing elemental gods trying to destroy the world. And it's not like there weren't deaths. It's not like we didn't go without anyone dying at their hands. But I think there should have been more.

Overall
If you haven't started this series yet, you definitely should. And if you're reading the series, you will definitely love the finale. Was it my favorite book in the series? No. But I still absolutely loved it.

4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment