Saturday, July 21, 2018

Review: The Wicked King

Title: The Wicked King
Author: Holly Black
Publisher: Little Brown BFYR
Release Date: January 8, 2019

The enchanting and bloodthirsty sequel to the New York Times bestselling novel The Cruel Prince.
You must be strong enough to strike and strike and strike again without tiring.

The first lesson is to make yourself strong.

After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her younger brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.

When it becomes all too clear that someone close to Jude means to betray her, threatening her own life and the lives of everyone she loves, Jude must uncover the traitor and fight her own complicated feelings for Cardan to maintain control as a mortal in a Faerie world.


omg omg. I need the next book immediately. That ending was cruel, but I guess I shouldn't have expected any less.

Holly Black has always been one of my favorites. Her epic love stories and worlds with the Folk always leave me breathless. The Wicked King was no exception. We start off five months after the end of The Cruel Prince. Cardan is now High King of Faerie, and there are debts to be paid. 

I don't have to say much about the worldbuilding. Each of Holly's faerie books adds more and more to the world, and Cardan adds something special to this one. Being High King, he helps to shape the world of Faerie. 

Jude uses her commands over Cardan to get what she wants, but it seems to backfire a lot. And in turn, Cardan seems to learn how to play the game of politics better than anyone could have ever imagined. Oh, how I love him. The title of "Wicked" never really seemed to fit, at least not until the very end. He seemed so conflicted throughout the entire installment, always wanting what was best. But then, finally, we see just how wicked he is. And I want more. I need more.

Cardan is truly wicked, and both Jude and I were tricked.

The Wicked King is full of twists and turns, and you won't be able to put it down. It will leave you screaming and wanting more, and it will have you hoping for an early release date for the next book. (darn you early review copies! I have over a year wait...)

Overall
I cannot wait for the next book. I need more Jude and Cardan in my life, and I need them now. Loved it, and if you like Holly Black's books, you need to jump on this train now.


5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment