Sunday, December 4, 2016

#ReadIndie Interview: S Usher Evans



Title: The Island
Author: S Usher Evans
Publisher: Suns Golden Ray
Release Date: April 26, 2016

Prince Galian is third in line to the throne, but prefers his place as a resident at the Royal Kylaen Hospital. When his father urges him to join the military to help reclaim their colony, Galian is forced to put aside his oath to Do No Harm and fight a war he does not believe in.

Across the great Madion Sea, Captain Theo Kallistrate dreams of a day when she is no longer bound by conscription to fight for her country's independence. But when the Kylaens threaten, honor and duty call her to the front lines to fight off the oppressors.

When an air skirmish goes wrong, both Theo and Galian crash on a remote island hundreds of miles from either nation. Grievously injured, Theo must rely on Galian's medical expertise, and Galian must rely on Theo's survival skills, to live another day in a harsh and unforgiving terrain.

Can they put aside their differences long enough to survive? Or will the war that brought them to the island tear them apart?

The Island is the first in a new romance trilogy by S. Usher Evans, author of the Razia series and Empath.


________________________________________
Interview

Describe The Island in three words.

Political romantic survival

You write from the perspectives of both Theo and Galian. Was one of them easier to write?

Galian’s worldview is similar to mine. We both had very privileged upbringing and tend to look at the world as mostly positive with few negatives. Theo, on the other hand, was an exercise in putting myself in someone else’s shoes. She’s been under constant threat her entire life, and that takes a toll on someone.

You've written about dragons, space pirates, and magical girls. What made you choose to write about castaways?

I don’t ever sit down and think “Oh, I want to write about X.” Generally, situations come to me in flashes of light, followed by characters, followed by plot. In this instance, I was driving home from the grocery store and a Shakira song came on. The lyrics were “I dare you to kiss me / with everyone watching” and I had this idea about two people who couldn’t be together because they were both in the spotlight. The island bit came because I was binging Arrow.

What was one of your favorite parts of The Island to write?

The very first scene where Theo and Galian first meet is my favorite. Theo is dying but she’s still so feisty. Galian finds this intriguing and goads her a little bit before saving her life. It’s a little peek into both of their characters.

Your books are published through your small press, SGR Pub. Can you explain to us how that works?

I’m self-published. SGR-Pub is the company I started to publish my own works. In the future, we’ll be open to submission, but for now, it’s just the umbrella and tax ID that I use for me.

What’s your favorite part of being an indie author?

I do like having editorial and schedule control. I like being able to do what I want, when I want without asking for permission. I love the thrill of selling a book to someone.

What were some of your favorite books growing up?

Harry Potter. And Harry Potter. Oh, did I mention Harry Potter?


Any encouraging words for aspiring authors?
If you write, you’re a writer. Lose the aspiring and own it.

And Lastly, where can we find you online?

I’ve got a blog here: http://www.susherevans.com
And I’m most active on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/susherevans

________________________________________



About

S. Usher Evans is an author, blogger, and witty banter aficionado. Born in Pensacola, Florida, she left the sleepy town behind for the fast-paced world of Washington, D.C.. There, she somehow landed jobs with BBC, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic Television before finally settling into a “real job” as an IT consultant. After a quarter life crisis at age 27, she decided consulting was for the birds and rekindled a childhood passion for writing novels. She sold everything she owned and moved back to Pensacola, where she currently resides with her two dogs, Zoe and Mr. Biscuit.

Evans is the author of the Razia series, Lexie Carrigan Chronicles, Madion War Trilogy, and Empath, published by Sun’s Golden Ray Publishing.

________________________________________

And don't forget I'm giving away one of Sush's books in my monthly giveaway here!

No comments:

Post a Comment