Thursday, July 13, 2017

Beautiful People - Writing Process


I have literally never participated in a writing meme before. But with me trying to focus more on said writing, it seemed like a good idea. In case you didn't know, it's a monthly writing meme hosted by Cait @ Paperfury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In

How do you decide which project to work on?

At any given time, I've usually got at least two projects floating around my brain. It hasn't been much of an issue what to choose, because I just work on whatever I feel the most passionate about at the time. I have some cool ideas that I loved at first, but they need a lot of research, and I just Don't. Like. Research. So I shove them aside for later.

That wasn't a very complete answer lol. Honestly, I try to finish one project as mucha s possible before starting on a new one. I do revisions, and then I might draft another project while I'm waiting to hear from betas. But it's usually my newest idea that I go with, because it's freshest in my mind.

How long does it usually take you to finish a project?

This is a trick question, right? Lol!

It really just depends on the project, but I'm slow. My first ever book (which was terribad btw) took me a few years to complete. And I never finished revisions, because it was JUST SO HOPELESS. My next book probably took me about a year, but I set it aside to get more critique before doing another round of revisions, and I never went back to it o_o

Finally, we shall fast forward to now when I'm working on Spy Project. I began drafting this last January (2016), but I spent a lot of time throughout the year working on Iron Curse instead. So I can't say exactly how long it's been. I drafted about 5k words, then I revised Iron Curse, then I drafted another 20k words, then I revised Iron Curse. So yea. I've been pretty much only with Spy Project this year, but I did nothing writing-wise in January, February, March, or June. So I guess that was a roundabout way of saying I would be faster if I just worked on one thing at a time and actually worked the entire year.
 

Do you have any routines to put you in the writing mood?

My only routine is really listening to music to put me in the mood for a specific MS. I cannot listen to music while I'm drafting, so I will listen in my car, at work, just walking around my house, etc. I get distracted too easily to listen while I draft, but I still need to get put in the mood of the story. For Spy Project, my drafting music was (wait for it...) Dashboard Confessional. Because everybody needs some angsty boys lol.

What time of day do you write best?

Well, I work nights. So I'm up at night. I will write probably the most around 5-6am when I'm hurrying to finish up my daily goal before going to bed.

Are there any authors you think you have a similar style to?

Maybe? I try not to read anything while I'm working on a book, because I will emulate another author too easily. My style might be somewhat close to Morgan Rhodes, but I couldn't confirm that.


Why did you start writing, and why do you keep writing?

I began writing poetry in high school because I was a very emo child. Okay, I actually wrote silly little stories when I was small, but I don't know why other than that I liked to write. And I needede validation, so I would go and bind up my terrible stories about spending a day with my friend and make my parents read them.

I stopped writing at some point when I was in college. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I wrote a few poems here and there, but nothing really substantial. I ended up taking a bunch of humanities classes later on (I was a chem major, so this was rare), and my favorite professor got me back into the whole reading and writing thing. Not long after I graduated, I began working on a novel. And then, of course, I set it down for three years before picking it up again, but here we are now!

What’s the hardest thing you’ve written?

A short story about a girl who commits suicide. I don't write much realistic fiction (it's usually short stories if I do), and this was particularly difficult because I drew from my own struggles with depression. Over all, the project was probably only 1k words long, but it was so difficult for me.


Is there a project you want to tackle someday but you don’t feel ready yet?

Omg yes. I have a gay BatB retelling in my head, but SO MUCH RESEARCH. I actually feel I might need to take a trip to Iceland to make sure I get everything right. So yea...


What writing goals did you make for 2017 and how are they going?

Well. My writing goal was to begin querying agents for Spy Project. Which I have not begun. But I will be entering Pitch Wars, so I call it a win anyway. Even if I don't make it in, this month before prepping has definitely helped me with making sure I keep deadlines and polishing my query and synopsis. 

Describe your writing process in 3 words or a gif!


No comments:

Post a Comment