Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Oh my gosh it's been probably two months since I did one of these posts.  Have you ever gone back to reread a favorite book and found that it wasn't exactly as you remembered?  Today's Top Ten theme is books I feel differently about after time has passed.



Allegiant - I enjoyed this for the most part when I first read it.  Except for the ending.  But the more I think back on it, the more angry I am.  And the more I hate the story that was told in this book.  I wish this had stopped at book 1.
Trial by Fire - To be fair, I wasn't fond of this one to begin with.  But I was glad that I finished it.  Now I get angry when I remember how much I hated the main character.  And I wish I had just DNF'd.
Bone Gap - I loved this when I first read it.  But as time goes on, I wonder why.  It's weird and confusing, and I'm still not sure what actually happened.  Is that magical realism?  Or just bad fantasy?
End of Days - I loved this so much when I first read it.  But thinking back, I feel that the relationship between Raffe and Penryn could have been more of a slow-burn.  This ending feels rushed now that I think back.
Stolen Songbird - I still enjoyed this book a lot.  But the sequels have made me question this.  I can't think of this one with enjoyment anymore.
A Court of Thorns and Roses - I want to reread this one to be sure I will feel this way, but after A Court of Mist and Fury, I'm even more disappointed with the first volume.
City of Bones - I liked this.  A lot.  But now I just feel meh.  I don't see why I should finish the series.
Throne of Glass - I wasn't sold on this one when I first read it.  SJM is amazing at second books, and that pulled me in completely to the series.
The Darkest Part of the Forest - I'm sure I will always like this one, because faeries.  But it's not as dark as one would expect.
Truthwitch - I DNF'd this.  I'm sorry, I did.  Lately, I've been really wanting to give it another go.  I probably will at some point.

What are some books you've changed your opinion on?

8 comments:

  1. I agree on some points you made here! Especially regarding Penryn and Raffe. But I guess that came about because for whatever reason the projected 5 book series was turned into 3. So I guess things had to be sped up and rushed. It's one of my minor issues with the series but I still enjoyed it!

    I still need to read Truthwitch myself! I'm hoping to love it because I've head great things about it over the months!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Allegiant; the whole Divergent trilogy is just not as good as I thought it once was, which is a shame. A book that I changed my opinion on for the better is Clockwork Angel, which I hated the first time I read it. I reread it and couldn't for the life of me find something that was wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad that you feel that way about Trial By Fire!! I've been thinking about finally reading that one. I hope I enjoy it more than you did. :/ I also DNF'd Truthwitch, but I really don't think I'll continue it!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't agree more with what you said about SJM being amazing at second books. I LOVED ACOTAR but, after reading ACOMAF, I did question that love a little, because it was overshadowed a crazy amount by its sequel.

    I also wasn't pulled in by ToG, but I've been told that the series really picks up, so I think its maybe time to finally read QoS and get hooked alongside everyone else!

    Here's my Top Ten post.
    Shaunna @ Books Over Bros

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read Bone Gap- it sounds fascinating. I didn't continue the divergent series after book 1, a decision I still consider a good one haha. I loved Throne of Glass, but the others were EVEN BETTER.
    Great post!
    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me so sad everytime I think about the ending of Allegiant :(

    #Commenting355

    - Christine @ Tine's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like usually I like more after time passes. there are multiple books I thought were just "ok", but as time passes they seem to get better in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like usually I like more after time passes. there are multiple books I thought were just "ok", but as time passes they seem to get better in my mind...

    ReplyDelete