Saturday, October 29, 2016

Even big bloggers don't get a break apparently

I only just woke up to the shit show that happened during the day.

And by shit show, I mean news about BEA seriously limiting the amount of bloggers they accept and Harper no longer sending arcs to bloggers. At all.

So let's start with the easier to digest news. The fact that BEA is seriously changing. Want to know what I mean? Look here. It is disheartening that a trade show that previously embraced bloggers now tells us how little we mean.

And not only that, I keep seeing things like this:





You know what? I'm not even mad partially because I never get arcs from Harper. So it's not like they are personally slighting me or anything. I don't even ever get approved for earcs from them.

The point is that they think that bloggers do such a small job in the book community that they no longer care about having them review or promote their books.

Want to know why I started blogging? Because I needed an outlet where I could talk about books. It's never been about the arcs. Hell, when I started blogging I didn't even know bloggers could get free review copies. And I was never able to do BEA anyway. I had no friends I could talk to about books, and I ended up just blabbing about them to people who didn't give a crap and would politely tell me to stop. A professor of mine suggested I make a blog, and I haven't looked back since. But this isn't about me.

It's not about the arcs or free books. It's about promotion and respecting readers.

This is about the fact that bloggers put so much time and energy into blogs, while the publishers don't appreciate us. I don't have time to sit down and watch a 20 minute booktube video that I won't even enjoy just to see a book recommendation. Not many people do. I personally don't like booktube because you have to look perfect to be popular, and they only ever go over mainstream books.

Not to mention some super popular booktubers post like once every couple months. And bloggers generally post at least once a week.

But seriously, why would I want to watch a long-ass annoying video when I can read a five minute post? It's a no-brainer to me.

Plus, apparently booktubers get paid for their reviews? I mean, okay. I can see trade sites getting paid for that. But us consumers? I thought that was against FCC guidelines, hence having to state I got the book for free. Maybe there is some loophole I don't know, but that makes it even worse. They would rather send out money and books instead of just giving free books that can be shared and shared and promoted from every angle.

I just want to feel like I make a difference.

So thanks for abandoning your readers, Harper. I don't care that I won't be getting books from you. I care that you think I am so insignificant in the scheme of things that you just discount me and figure I can't help you with any promotion at all ever.

My blog is obvious just a nuisance to publishers.

Because that is what they have just done. And I am insistent on showing Harper that they cannot treat their readers who promote them constantly like this. My friends and I are all boycotting Harper indefinitely. It's sad, because my favorite author publishes with them. But I will not be buying her next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment