Wednesday, January 18, 2017

When you can't ship "The Ship"

I know I've read multiple books where I just couldn't get behind the ship. In all likelihood, you have too. The love interest is controlling, or he's just not right for the heroine.

And that's the thing. It's happening again...

I'm reading a series where I just can't with the ship. I read through the synopses of all the other books in the series, and it continues as it is, shipped as such. So what do?

If I had known from the absolute beginning about what Bardugo would do with the Darkling, would I have continued on with the series? Probably not. He's one of my absolute favorite characters, and seeing him turned into such an awful villain was painful. Almost as painful as seeing the ship with Mal (because honestly Mal is a douche canoe).

So when there is the suggestion of a possible other ship that I like sooooo much better, but I know it will go no where? WHAT DO?

I got lucky with ACOTAR. I was never 100% behind the Tamlin ship, and when ACOMAF came around, I was happy to leave it behind. But now I don't know what to do. I haven't been on this end of shipping very often, mainly because I'm very good at calling the ship. And okay. I did call the ship. I just don't like it.

The thing is, as a writer and a reader, I do not like love triangles. So if there is an alternate love interest (there is one introduced in this case), I find myself going crazy. WHY does there have to be a love triangle? Of course, then you look at the fandoms for these different books (let's take Twilight for example) and see how vehemently the fans support one or the other. So even though I know this ship of mine ends up badly, I still want to route for it. But personally, as a writer, I avoid doing love triangles, because it just feels all kinds of wrong. And so now I leave you with a question.

For those of you that still ship with Tamlin, or those that hate Rowan. Those that can't get behind a ship. What should I do? Should I continue on with this series? 

No comments:

Post a Comment