Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows

Title: The Orphan Queen
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: March 10, 2015

Adventure, intrigue, and romance combine in a new fantasy duology from Incarnate series author Jodi Meadows.

When Princess Wilhelmina was a child, the Indigo Kingdom invaded her homeland. Ten years later, Wil and the other noble children who escaped are ready to fight back and reclaim Wil's throne. To do so, Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate the Indigo Kingdom palace with hopes of gathering information that will help them succeed.

But Wil has a secret—one that could change everything. Although magic has been illegal for a century, she knows her ability could help her save her kingdom. But magic creates wraith, and the deadly stuff is moving closer and destroying the land. And if the vigilante Black Knife catches her using magic, she may disappear like all the others. . . .



Okay wow.  This book. Wow.

This book was amazing.  It follows the story(ies) of the lost Princess Wilhelmina of Aecor trying to take back her kingdom from the country that invaded ten years prior, the Indigo Kingdom.  She is a spy and a thief working with a rebel group of the lost noble orphans of Aecor when she meets the mysterious Black Knife.

Black Knife is known as a vigilante who turns in magic users.  So Wilhelmina is afraid of what will happen if he catches her.  But after their first official meeting, he doesn't intend to arrest her.  And he can't seem to stop following her.  Who is this sexy, masked man?

You can tell from the beginning that there will be a ship between Wilhelmina and Black Knife.  I mean, come on.  But I'm on board here.  I totally ship it.  Even though spoiler it was a little awkward with them kissing with masks on. end spoiler But I digress.

I was flipping back and forth between two different characters most of the book for whom I though Black Knife to be.  If you have read it, you probably know who I am talking about.  About halfway through the book I decided which one it had to be with about 90% certainty.  And I was totally right.  But the reveal is still a pretty big shocker.

Read this book!

Let's take a moment to talk about the ending.  Ughhhhhhhhh.
I have a love-hate relationship with cliff-hangers.  And this was just pure cruelty.  That was not what I expected to happen at the end.  Give me the next book NOW!


So what did I think?  Meadows created a truly magical world.  This book was dark, but it still had some humor.  And the weird twist between Black Knife and Wil was just amazing.  I loved this book.  Recommended to young adult and fantasy fans.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but your response to my poll has me thinking about moving it up a few spots on my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete