Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: Trust by Jodi Baker

TrustTitle: Trust
Author: Jodi Baker
Publisher: Between Lions Press
Release Date: June 18, 2015

TRUST is a young adult, mythological, urban fantasy thrill ride about the darkly fantastical, supernatural Museion that has secretly protected humanity’s greatest treasures for millennia, and Anna, the sixteen-year-old New York girl who is the unknowing Heir to it all:

TRUST.
That’s what the voice inside my head kept repeating when I woke up between the infamous lion statues of the New York Public Library, with no idea how I got there and no memory of the last year of my life.

The only person I ever trusted was my mother, who lied about everything.

I want to trust myself, despite my missing memories. But hearing a voice inside my head obviously isn’t a good thing, especially since it know things I don’t… like how to speak Ancient Sumerian, the fact that yellow-eyed people aren’t actually people, and that my mother’s Egyptian ankh necklace was the key to unlocking the truth she was hiding:

I’m the last in a long lineage of powerful women whose secrets date back to the ancient Library of Alexandria.

I’m fighting like hell to stay alive while searching for both my missing mother and the truth, desperate to find something or someone I can trust.


Trust takes a completely different outlook on some historical events turning this book into an interesting fantasy read.  We learn that protagonist Anna is suddenly missing for a year. But she doesn't remember any of it.  She soon learns that her mother has been missing to, and she embarks on a journey to find and save her.  But nothing her mother taught her prepared her for what was to come.
The idea of this plot was interesting enough.  But there are still complete plot holes by the end of the book.  Where was Anna for that last year?  Why is there a war going on with the guardians?  Even if it is the first book in a series, I felt that it could have answered now questions rather than leaving the reader still confused about the beginning of the story.

Many of the plot twists I found to be somewhat be somewhat predictable (i.e. the thing with Anna's mother at the end, the thing with Cax).

The story did lend to character growth, which I wholeheartedly enjoyed.  And at the end there was the start of a possible romance.

So what did I think overall?
Trust was an okay book.  If you are really into ancient Egyptian culture you would probably enjoy this book.  My biggest complaint is the chapter length.  For a YA book, I felt the chapters were far too long.  Overall I didn't love it, but I still enjoyed it.

Note: I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment