Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sunday Discussion: The Throne of Glass Book Boyfriend Edition


Every Sunday I find a bookish topic to discuss.  Have an idea for a discussion post?  Just leave a comment or send me an email at christinathebookreader@gmail.com

So in honor of Queen of Shadows' very soon pending release, today's discussion is about the many book boyfriends found in Sarah J. Maas' epic Throne of Glass series.  Because I love book boyfriends :D

So this should go without saying but... SPOILER ALERT.  I will try my best to not spoil anything, but when discussing particular books.. Yeah things are going to be spoiled.  So if you haven't read the series, stop reading this post now.

If you ship someone I don't tell me why in the comments below.  This is a discussion post remember :) Let's discuss!

Sam Cortland - Celaena's fellow assassin.  He's sexy and brave, and they don't always get along.  And yet he still seems to find ways to make jokes.  Same is my second favorite of all the boys on this list.  I totally ship these two (if only because I know that Sam doesn't make it to the main series).  What do you love about Sam?  Do you ship them (because I totally do)?


Dorian Havilliard - What do I say about Adarlan's crown prince?  He's smart, sexy, and adorably messy.  At first he seems kind of pompous, but after getting to know him, you find out he's not the son his father always wanted.  He's kind and caring, challenging the king on political views.  And he can be the greatest friend Celaena never asked for, even if they weren't meant for each other.  I never shipped Dorian and Celaena.  I love him as a character.  He's definitely one of my favorites, but I think they're best together as friends.  (Note: I may have cried and/or screamed at the end of Heir of Fire)  What's your favorite thing about Dorian?  Do you ship him with Celaena or Sorcha or neither?


Chaol Westfall - Chaol seems to be a fan favorite.  And I will be totally honest, I never really liked him.  He's a cool character but I just never felt it with him.  Please don't kill me.  Strong and yet sensitive, Chaol is the captain of the guard.  It's revealed that he's one of Dorian's best friends.  And I like him more for that.  But I like him less for his jealousy about Celaena.  He starts off kind of icy, but soon warms to Celaena, coming to love her.  What's your favorite thing about Chaol?  Do you ship them?


Rowan Whitehorn - What a mean, nasty, omg so stunning fae.  I feel like he could be the typical broody guy (or the closest to it) in the series.  And I heart him so much.  Rowan is a fae warrior, and one of Maeve's personal warriors.  He's fiercely loyal and still trying to find his way.  At first he hates Aelin.  And it seems the feeling is mutual.  But she grows on him slowly.   But even though he seems to be purposefully cruel, he is amazingly kind and willing to risk his own life for others.  He cares.   And this... THIS is my ship!  What about you?  What do you love about Rowan?  Do you ship it or not?

I want to talk about these boys!  Give me your thoughts in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Mwahahaha so many boys to choose from! Obviously Dorian's my favorite and I totally ship him with Celaena, though I like him with Sorscha as well, but I also adore Sam Cortland. I have a feeling he'll be back in some capacity before the series is over, whether it's as a ghost or just a memory, but I don't think we've seen the last of him. Also, for a while, I shipped Celaena and Nox (who I really, really, really want to come back and I think I heard he was). And, even though they're cousins, this was mentioned as a possibility, I don't think it'd be the end of the world if she ended up with Aedion, even if it was just for politics or some such. I do hope they end up wreaking havoc together at some point because that will be AMAZING.

    As for Chaol and Rowan, I'm not a fan of either. It's not that I dislike either of them, but I never got a romantic tension feeling between Celaena and Rowan, though I would consider them the bestest (is that a word?) of friends, even over her and Nehemia. Every time I reread the books I get a better appreciation of Chaol and I can see how he makes her happy, but, I don't know, they just seem like they aren't the best combo. I do think that by the end of the series, assuming they both survive, they'll be the ones who end up together and I'm kinda hoping for super romantic scenes in QoS.

    ReplyDelete