Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's Top Ten was a creative one.  Top Ten books that would be on my syllabus if I taught X 101.  I choose... Complex Villains.  For this post, a villain can be a person, an idea, etc.  Whatever is driving the conflict.


Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
Who doesn't love a villain who is just sooooo appealing.  The Darkling is everything I aspire to be my favorite villain on this list.  I'm just gonna sit here an ogle the boy who doesn't want to be alone.



Between blurring the lines so you don't know who the villain is, and then making him so extremely likable as to not be the villain anymore in the second book... This series delivers complexity to a tee.



The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
The villain in the book is not as easy to figure out.  I could be the king, could be Prince Tobiah.  But in my case I will say that the overall villain is the Wraith.  Tobiah and the king are technically Wilhelmina's enemies.  But they simply react to the situation given them.  And that situation is fueled by the Wraith.



Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
I chose this particular book in the series because it cements Snape's role as a villain.  And much more backstory from Voldemort is given.  The two are excellent villains.  But Snape (in the end) is an anti-hero, making him an even better study throughout the entire series.



Gone Girl
This one is interesting because both Nick and Amy Dunne are seen as the villain at different points during the story.  But which one of them is actually the villain?? Read it to find out!



The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
I love books like this.  The main hero of the story seems to be the villain as well.  Along with an unreliable narrator, this book is villain discussion gold.



A Step Toward Falling
This one, again, the main characters are the villains.  Emily and Lucas are the reason Belinda was attacked.  And yet they spend the entire book atoning.



Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
The villain in this book I would label as the wolf itself.  I always find it fascinating when the villain is an idea, much like this.



The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)
This was truly my least favorite of Marie Lu's books.  But I think it deserves a nod here since it is about a girl who starts out normal and shows her journey into villainy.



Before I Fall
This one is particularly complicated because there are enemies, bad people, etc throughout the entire book.  With so many to choose from, I'm going to say that Sam, herself, is her own villain.  She has to overcome the nature she has made for herself, become selfless, learn about herself.  And she has to keep restarting her day over and over until she finally learns enough to fix everything that has been set wrong.

So this turned almost into a discussion. Awesome.

What's your Top Ten?

8 comments:

  1. Love the topic you chose. I would definitely sign up for this class. I love discussing villains. And I seriously need to read The Kiss of Deception already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had trouble deciding on a topic, but I really love villains too :)

      Delete
  2. OOoh most excellent topic! And picks! See some good reads in here!! Especially Kiss of Deception! That one totally blew me away!! Cannot wait for the final book!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a topic!! I'm really enjoying all the different posts for this week's theme :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the theme of Complex Villain! I've been meaning to read Shadow and Bone, The Orphan Queen, and Kiss of Deception for a long time. Now I have even more reason to get to them. The villain, to me, is the most important part of any story. If I don't like or find the villain believable I won't like the story. Also, the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of my absolute favorite books!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent way to own this Top Ten Tuesday Topic. Adore Gail Carriger. There's some here that have me bookmarking this post. Mine is not so refined however, I came at it with short stories, which I do think is different.

    My TTT which isn't actually a list and shh... I have 11 short stories on my not list today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I LOVE THIS TOPIC BECAUSE I LOVE VILLAINS TO DEATH! Okay, sorry, I'll calm down:)
    Darkling! I just love that guy! Alina was a fool to choose Mal over him. But it's okay, him and I can go rule the world together!

    ReplyDelete