Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: May 5, 2015

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin-one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin-and his world-forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristen Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!


What I love about Sarah J. Maas's writing style is that it's so simplistic.  I could be half asleep while reading and still thoroughly enjoy the imagery and the story (not that her writing puts me to sleep, because it doesn't).

I love both Kristen Cashore and George R.R. Martin.  So I can impartially say that statement in the description is pretty true.  The world building is something to behold in Maas's novels.  And I am excited about the second novel in this new series.

So let's talk about the book
I feel like this book had one fatal flaw: all the hype surrounding it.  I don't let hype get to me mainly because I never expect to love a book.  So I wasn't disappointed when I read A Court of Thorns and Roses.

What can you expect?
Well, of course there are hot fae, because it's Sarah J. Maas.  There are plot twists and secrets galore.  And definitely some steamy sexy times.  *fans self*  You might find some surprises as well.

What about the plot?
This was a pretty good retelling of Beauty and the Beast.  And the "beast" part never felt awkward (which in some retellings I have to say definitely has felt completely weird).  There are bits of other fairy tales as well, like Cinderella.

And now for my thoughts
This is very much typical Sarah J. Maas.  If you're a fan of her work, it's definitely recommended.  But it's not an extremely deep read.  It's a quick and easy read (regardless of how long I took reading it), pretty much light reading fantasy-wise.  The book is the first in a trilogy, but it doesn't leave off very cliffhangery.  So it works well as a standalone (especially if you're just filling time waiting for Queen of Shadows to come out!).

Some things I noticed that made me not totally love this book: okay first, there were a million metaphors.  I loved the imagery, but sometimes it was a little over-explained.  Second, I don't know if this is just me, but what was Tamlin's mask?  Was it ever mentioned?  Was he wearing a specific animal or just a golden mask?  I am still a little confused at that.  And finally, that riddle.  I didn't even finish reading it before I knew the answer.  It was such an easy riddle that when Feyre didn't know the answer, I instantly thought she was an idiot.

But here are some things that I loved: Like I said before, the world building.  Prythian is such a believable magical faerie realm.  And the past war really helps the reader see the faeries differently.  The characters are all so complex.  I hated Rhysand for the longest time.  And yet I ended up liking him in the end.  What is that?  Right?  Right?

So my overall opinion?
I really liked this book.  Did I love it?  Not quite.  But that's okay.  I would still probably re-read it if I had time.  Definitely recommended to fans of the Throne of Glass series and pretty much anyone who likes reading about fae and faeries.  It's a good quick read if you like epic fantasy as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to get to this one! I feel like Sarah J Maas' books are similar to wine- the longer you let it sit the better it is. I re-read her Throne of Glass books every year before the release of a new one, and each read makes it better. The first time I read Crown of Midnight I didn't like. Now I love it!

    Glad to see you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Yea I really liked it the first time through. So maybe another pass will make me love it? It's very pretty Sarah J. Maas writing and world building. So even with the flaws I found I still really enjoyed it.
      I preordered this, and it never shipped. So I re-preordered it the day before release. Amazon still hasn't "found" my package haha

      Delete