Sunday, June 14, 2015

I don't like audiobooks

For some reason, I've always had this aversion to audiobooks.  Maybe it's just me.  Maybe it's not.  I don't know.  But when I think of audiobooks, I don't think of it as actually reading.  So even though they can be really useful at times, I still can't bring myself to try out Audible on amazon (even though they keep trying to give me two free audiobooks!)

So here is what I mean.  When someone is listening to an audiobook, they're not reading.  They're listening to someone else read.  Okay fine.  I guess there isn't anything wrong with that.  But I feel like I could miss so much by not seeing the words on paper.  By being able to interpret a scene myself rather than having someone voice it for me.

I get they are really useful for some situations.  Like in a really long car ride (assuming the book isn't insanely boring and about to put you to sleep while driving, because that would be really bad).  I could also cook and clean while listening to an audiobook.  I do sometimes read traditional books while doing chores.  But the threat of falling down the stairs has caused me to stop.  I don't do anything anymore while I read.  I'm just a little hermit.

Donnie-darko

So I get it.  I get where the appeal lies.  I just can't seem to think of audiobooks as cheating, in a sense.  And so when I think about getting one, I almost feel dirty.

And not only that, I mean I kind of have an aversion to ebooks as well.  I buy them when I am like OMG I MUST HAVE THIS BOOK NOW NO WAITING ALLOWED!  Yeah I totally get like that sometimes.  And I use ebooks a lot for review copies.  But. But. But.  Holding a book in your hand.

Buffy-giles

I know I know. I don't usually use gifs.  I just had to for this post.  

I could go ranting on and on and on.  I'm gonna stop now.  So that is my piece.  What is your guys' takes on audiobooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment