Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (17) Dream Things True

Waiting on Wednesday (17)



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming book releases we're really excited about.

This week, I'm waiting on:

Title: Dream Things True
Author: Marie Marquardt
Pages: 352
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: September 1, 2015

Evan and Alma have spent fifteen years living in the same town, connected in a dozen different ways but also living worlds apart -- until the day he jumps into her dad's truck and slams on the brakes.
The nephew of a senator, Evan seems to have it all - except a functional family. Alma has lived in Georgia since she was two, surrounded by a large (sometimes smothering) Mexican family. They both want out of this town. His one-way ticket is soccer; hers is academic success.

When they fall in love, they fall hard, trying to ignore their differences. Then Immigration and Customs Enforcement begins raids in their town, and Alma knows that she needs to share her secret. But how will she tell her country-club boyfriend that she and almost everyone she's close to are undocumented immigrants?

What follows is a beautiful, nuanced exploration of the complications of immigration, young love, defying one's family, and facing a tangled bureaucracy that threatens to completely upend two young lives. This page-turning debut asks tough questions, reminding us that love is more powerful than fear.

I love a good contemporary.  I got turned down for an ARC for this, so sadly I will be waiting.  Fortunately, September isn't too far off!

What are you waiting on?

5 comments:

  1. Have you noticed how so many good books come out this September?! I feel that half my MBR pile fits into that month. In fact my Wow comes out... guess when? Happy Reading! ~Beth @ Perpetual New Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pick! Not my kind of read but hope you love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like its going to be a hard book to read, but I'm certainly interested now. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to reading this one too! It sounds very excellent. Have an awesome week!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome, I really like stories that try and pull the protag's apart based on family background - kind of Romeo and Juliet style.

    Great Pick.

    My Wow: http://wp.me/p4IAgx-3H

    ReplyDelete